Nebraska Department of Corrections still has 3 prisoners released early still unaccounted for
Posted: 07/03/14 08:17
An update on the early release of hundreds of Nebraska prisoners. The Nebraska Department of Correctional Services says it has accounted for all but three of the 45 prisoners who were released before they should have been and still owe time. State officials issued arrest warrants for 20 of those inmates. The governor's office said Wednesday that 12 of them are back in custody, three were previously deported, one is at the Norfolk Regional Center for sex offenders, and one is dead. The remaining three have not been found. Nebraska Watchdog's Joe Jordan says in the midst of this story is a state senator calling for action. Meanwhile one of dozens of Nebraska inmates who were mistakenly released early after the state miscalculated their sentences has lost his court bid to remain free. Fifty-seven-year-old Bruce Caton had asked a judge to block prosecutors from sending him back to prison, arguing that he already served the minimum of his 10- to 20-year sentence. But online court records say Lancaster County District Judge Robert Otte denied Caton's bid on Friday, saying a trial court couldn't modify a valid sentence once it's pronounced. Caton was sentenced in 2004 as a habitual criminal. His record includes burglary, kidnapping, rape and robbery.